Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Be Dependable

I had one of my friends contact me Sunday evening, 7pm, asking me for a favor;
"do you know a hot girl that can come out to shoot tonite".

This friend was doing a film shoot out in Lytle Tx, easily an hour and a half drive from most anywhere in San Antonio, it was getting really late, and he was in a bind. I called and texted anyone I could think of, reaching some (I am embarrased to admit) I haven't talked to in a long time. My one ace in the hole was unavailable, and even thought this would have been her first major role she would have missed out on her first day on the job. Can't be giving that up for deffered payment, more on that later.

The point is that you cannot be showing up absent when it is time to roll camera. Some people do it because they don't take the film they are in seriously, others because they chicken out at the last minute. I've even heard some people come up with the "family problems" excuse.

Let's make one thing clear. A film is a series of sacrifices and compromises, a testiment to a group's dedication and a monument to time, relationships, and monies lost that may never be recovered. Even Stanley Kubrick's first marriage came apart at the seems during his first feature. So if you are a slacker, a pretender, a weak wannabe that wants to test the waters to see if they are cold, let me be the first to tell you "Yes, the waters are frigid". And not only are they frigid but they will rob the very warmth of your heart as you try to gasp for air. If you make it, if you can follow through with the simple agreement of learning your lines, overcome your fears and commit, then you will have accomplished what most can't even envision. That is what living creatively means; living a more full life.

But if you can't, turn away, live a quiet little safe life, free from risk and reward. And for those of you who fail to follow through on your word, who don't appreciate the sacrifice of others and lead people on to believe you have drive and do not, my guess is that not to many people will miss you when you are gone.

No comments: