Thursday, August 21, 2008

Can Social Media bring big changes for the Local Movie Scene?

One of the things that I have noticed out of the Austin Film Scene is that there is a broad sense of community and that there is a serious backing from multiple local sources. Me, Jealous? Perhaps. But not being one to be satisfied with the status quo, I have been wondering how to expand the reach of social media to help the San Antonio Film Community.

I had the chance to work with Jennifer Navarrete, one of the organizers of http://barcamp.org/BarCampSanAntonio and who is spearheading the effort to get a branch of the SocialMediaClub set up in San Antonio. She put the challenge to me to set up a social media camp for the local entertainment industry. Brilliant. But am I ready?

Opportunity is not something to be passed by lightly. While I do not claim to master the social media mojo, I know that there needs to be a smart, deliberate and passionate effort to better organize the filmmaking scene locally. There are already in place several hardworking people who have laid out great groundwork, but it lays invisible and the potential players (namely you, my local dizzy denizens) do not interact frequently enough. Better exposure and organized intercommunication is on its way, so will keep you posted as to when social media camp/SA Film Freak style info becomes available.

Until then (clink)
hugs from PapaBear

No comments: